How many times have you and I not been able to do something..."natural"?
How about when you caught the flu that one winter; stuck on your bed with puffy eyes and a stuffy nose, not being able to talk without exhausting yourself and walk without getting dizzy within a few seconds? Technically, you were disabled, maybe not permanently but for the moment.
One time I decided I wanted to give this exercise thing a shot (bahaha pretty sure we all know how that went). Being the highly intelligent individual that I was (still am) I just looked up fancy exercises and started doing them without stretching or anything like that. Walking up two flights of stairs the next day at school was like a root canal to the legs and ladies and gentlemen that is why I do not exercise.
I was both physically and emotionally disabled for a few days after that.
Disability is something as common and as everyday as anything else. According to Mairs we are all in a sense "temporarily abled" (Mairs). Some of us are more disabled than others, some have disabilities for a few weeks and some for life.
The disabled are still whole, their disability is just one part of them. We are in no way different to each other in the way we think, yearn, feel and essentially live. And yet we are different in every way. And yet we are similar.
Enable yourself to look beyond disability.

Wow Sriya this post was beautiful! I can relate 200% to the experience of being too sore that I can't even walk up the stairs. In fact, even when I'm not sore I can't even walk up the stairs. Does that make me officially disabled?
ReplyDeleteHey Sriya, loved your post. You defined what a disability is very well, and I think that helps because it's often a gray area. Nice job for a potato
ReplyDelete