Friday, October 10, 2014

Man vs...

   Life is like a story. 
It has a plot or conflict, decisions and turns at the forked road in life. 
That is, when we think of a story we mainly keep in mind the theme of man vs. something; nature, life, himself, society, anything. 

   Our whole life is about overcoming obstacles; school, friends, sickness, injuries, decisions, success, failure, hunger, emotions, life and death. 
   
  But is that what life really is? Just a bunch of obstacles and how we overcome them? Or how we don't?



But what if man was not meant to overcome and survive but to simply be? 
Not man vs. something but simply, man? 
No obstacles of need or want, just presence. What would that kind of life be like? Could we even consider it 'life' in the sense that there are no 'life events'?

I recently saw a movie called 'LUCY' where the main character's bloodstream is exposed to a very powerful and fatal synthetic drug. However, she not only survives but she starts to reach a 100% of her brain capacity, allowing her to know every bit of knowledge existent to man kind and to be in control of herself, others, and the objects around her.

She explains how her higher knowledge helped her realize that life is just full of hurdles and as humans we do not see the bigger picture, can not see the bigger picture. 

Throughout the movie the audience is kept waiting anxiously to see what happens at 100% as the character gains power over time and all matter on earth. 

However when she does reach 100% she becomes nothing, she disappears, she becomes 'one with the universe around her', an omnipresent source of energy.

That left me thinking, I've always been excited and curious as to what happens if I had full control over my brain. Could I become a superhero? Could I finally get a vowel as my math grade? (Not E folks very funny) 
But now, I don't think I want to. I like life's hurdles and obstacles. The stress and the drama. The happiness and enjoyment. The fun. The success and failure (cough cough GBBE cough cough). 

I like living life 

Do you?


"First I was dying to finish high school and start college. 
And then I was dying to finish college and start working. 
And then I was dying to marry and have children. 
And then I was dying for my children to grow old enough for school so I could return to work. 
And then I was dying to retire.

And now I am dying...

And suddenly I realize I forgot to live."
-Anonymous

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is extremely insightful. I liked your use of colloquial diction, conveying your direct relation to the reader. I not only understood your argument, but I felt it emotionally. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really thorough reference to a movie and it conveys your idea well. Your writing is always really conversational and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SRIYA THIS IS AMAZING!! Your post made me smile :) The way you referenced the movie LUCY and tied it to your viewpoint on life is very well conveyed.

    ReplyDelete